On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 8:38 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> The earliest Osbornes were single density with ten 256 byte sectors per
> track.  I was able to write some code on TRS80 model 1 to read those.
> Many PC FDCs, including the IBM 5150/5160, can not do FM/single-density.
>
> Then Osborne came out with a "double density upgrade".  The
> MFM/Double-density Osborne disks are easy to do with PC, if you are
> familiar with INT13h and INT1Eh.

It's odd... The Osborne had a double-density-capable disk controller
chip (WD1793) from the start. The double density board is the
necessary data separator and write precompensation stuff.

I have it in my Osborne, thankfully. I also have the 80 column
'Screenpac' upgrade, which is not relevant here.

-tony