On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 8:03 PM Fred Cisin via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> > <But that's a minor issue. The loss of RS232 communications is a lot
> > <more serious.
>
> On Thu, 18 May 2023, Robert Feldman via cctalk wrote:
> > Can you fix it using MODE.com from a DOS prompt?
>
> Or, a full re-install of the USB-RS232 dongle?

Depends on what you mean by a re-install...

Asking Windows to check the driver and install the correct/latest one
did not help.

Deleting the driver totally and then removing/reconnecting the USB end
of the interface cable got it to find the correct driver. So at least
I can talk to my device programmers, etc, again.

Quite why the software decided to replace that driver for me without
telling me is a mystery. Needless to say I am not going to run it
again.

> Long ago, I learned, the hard way, that I should always make a complete
> backup, or at least a restore point, before installing anything new, or
> making any change.
>
> I wish that I would remember to apply that lesson more consistently.

'Scratch monkeys' sprng to mind :-)

-tony