On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 3:16 PM Antonio Carlini via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> At ~£25 you're unlikely to lose much with either of the two front
> runners :-)

Unfortunately in my case that is not true.

I ordered a Greaseweazle earlier today and downloaded the software. Of
course there is no such thing as documentation....

I read on the web site that to use it under Windows 8.1 I had to
install a device driver and to do that I needed a program called
'zadig.exe'. I downloaded that following the link on the Greaseweazle
page.

Now I don't yet have the Greaseweazle but I decided to just check that
the programs would run. They do not

The gw software itself falls over with a moan about a missing .dll.
The bit I recognise is 'stdio'. No idea where or how to get htat.

zadig was worse. I gave it permission to make changes but AFAIK didn't
ask it to change anything. None-the-less I've lost RS232
communications (the USB-serial cable was plugged in at the time). I
can find no way to get that to work again.

So I've lost the ability to program and read PALs and EPROMs. talk to
my palmtops, calcultors and other machines and so on. Bascially I
can't do much..

I wish I'd never listened to people who said this was easy and would work fine.

Never again.

-tony