On Thu, Aug 24, 2023, 8:38 PM Eric Smith via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 5, 2023, 08:54 Bill Degnan via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The Apple I is not historically significant enough alone to justify
> > the prices they get
> >

> The first product sold by the first company to hit $1T market cap seems
> historically significant to me.

That's the whole point...viewing history from today's perspective THEN the
Apple I was not historic, it was an awesome SBC like others available at
the time.  The Apple II is more "historic" because it was a first appliance
computer.

Basically the Apple I is the first Apple.  Historic yes but not off the
charts historic for it's time.

I don't mean to be argumentative.  I totally get it why the apple I is
historic and valuable, but the proportion is lost.  My only point, the
proportion.  The fact that today Apple is worth $1Tn does not make the
Apple 1 more historic.

AFAIK the Apple 1 was also the first inexpensive (somewhat subjective)
> personal computer to include a composite video text display and a parallel
> keyboard interface. Such was possible with the PDP-8 and PDP-11/05, but
> they were very expensive, and it wasn't a normal configuration. Also
> possible with an S100 system, cheaper than a PDP-anything, but still much
> more expensive than Apple 1, and had to be configured out of a lot of
> pieces.
>
> There are a lot of "firsts" throughout the history of computing, and I'm
> sure that there is disagreement over the significance of many, but I think
> I'd have a very hard time justifying myself if I claimed the Apple 1 was
> not historically significant.
>
> Eric

I agree the aApple I stands out among SBC computers sold in 1976, but there
is nothing that amazing that could not be found elsewhere in an SBC,
otherwise it would have sold more.

The Jolt was the first 6502, how much is that worth?

Bill