On Wed, Aug 30, 2023, at 11:30 AM, Wayne S via cctalk wrote:
> This dislike of “Discord” has touched a nerve for me.  It’s also one of
> the reasons the cctalk list has lost most of it value.
> Discord is a collection of channels most devoted to specific subjects
> that you more or less subscribe to. It’s just a server and you need an
> invite to join a group. I’m in the Classic computer group and find it
> to be filled with knowledge people willing to share that knowledge with
> others.
> Saying you don’t like “Discord” is like saying you don’t like TV. If
> you don’t like the content, simply don’t watch it.  Don’t blame the
> medium.

It's not that I don't like the content, it's that content accessibility is
awful. We're moving important information from a publicly available,
searchable, indexable web, and putting it into a walled garden where you can't
find it unless you sign up for a service, find the right server, and join it.

Let me be more clear: I love the CHAT feature of Discord. It's perfect for
that. It's a great place to discuss things in real time. But it is dreadful as
a replacement for forums and archives.

Every time a phpBB forum shuts down and deletes its archive we lose history.
The new history being made on Discord is never going to be a viable replacement
because it's a closed system behind locked doors. Even when you get the key to
the doors and join a server, good luck finding information that's well laid
out, organized, searchable, and accessible. And good luck exporting that
information.

We already have wikis, we already have forums. Let them do what they're good
at, leave Discord for real-time discussion. Anything less is just a sad, sad
waste of potential and robbing from the future.

-Seth
--
  Seth Morabito * Poulsbo, WA * https://loomcom.com/