On 9/27/2023 3:53 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On Sep 27, 2023, at 12:25 PM, Jay Jaeger via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

I have some open slots in some of my racks.  I do have some old DEC rails, but
I have a fair amount of equipment, from both DEC and other manufacturers, for
which those rails are not suitable.

Does anyone have any specific recommendations for shelving? (where equipment
could just be slid on top of, if the equipment isn't too wide - some pieces are
very close to 19 inches all by themselves, and were designed for front
cantilever style mounting.)
Rack makers sell these; for example
https://www.budind.com/racks-cabinets-accessories/ or
https://www.dell.com/en-us/search/server%20rack%20shelves but I would expect
any number of places that produce racks have them.

I have an H960 and needed a solution for a 3U 19 storage array that can attach
in the front but needs more support and doesn't mate up with the H960 rear
rails.  So rather than spend significant money on a shelf, I just installed a
pair of angle irons from front to back (vertical flange down) and set the array
on that.  Since it's close to 19 inches wide, that simple solution fully
supports it.

For a heavy oscilloscope I wanted to install as well, I did something similar:
angle iron supporting a sheet of plywood.  In that case, it has some additional
angle irons running across, to keep the plywood from bowing under the load.

        paul

Amazon has them at lower prices than those -- I was just wondering if anyone in their travels found a particular one that worked well in a DEC rack (e.g. H960)

JRJ