On Wed, 31 Jan 2024 at 14:23, Christopher Satterfield via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> I'm going to be presenting a (fine? idk) collection of British Computers.
> Dragging along at least an Acorn RiscPC 700, a Castle Iyonix, Sinclair
> Spectrum 48k and a Q68. Possibly static Apricot FP1/F1 if I can be bothered
> to reassemble them despite their non-functional states.

As a Brit, can I just express my appreciation of this? :-)

I write for an international audience and sometimes people from the
USA are openly and repeatedly incredulous that "obscure" British
computers -- that means they've never heard of them -- can be
considered significant or important, even compared to American
machines that were on sale in East Futtbuck Idaho for 6 weeks in
Spring 1973 and have never been mentioned since.

The biggest selling CPU in history is a British design from a British
company. Its native OS is still updated and is FOSS today, and
provided the inspiration for a key part of the Windows 95 user
interface now used by billions. The core of the OS dates from the late
1970s or so and may be the oldest OS of which a modern derivative
still can run on the bare metal of new hardware in 2024.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com