On Sat, Feb 24, 2024 at 08:36:35PM +0000, Just Kant via cctalk wrote:
> Has anyone used it or something contemporaneous?

Not me, at least not yet. I am kind of wet dreaming about it, so maybe
one day.

> Is it at all applicable to any degree to today's approach to
> AI/machine learning tasks? I would like to perhaps eventually create
> a game, probably not chess, lilely something simpler. The old expert
> system modeling paradigm seems to have largely if not entirely
> fallen out of favor. From what I'm reading though TP seems to be
> geared for that.

AI is many things, and one of them is Chad Geppetto. I think Prolog is
quite underappreciated and it might be more relevant (at least in some
cases) simply because, unlike Chad, one's code in Prolog will not
hallucinate. Unless this is exactly what you put into it.  From my
point of view, Chad is close to useless, because I could not trust the
results. It would tell me a story in a second and I would then spent a
day or a week trying to verify veracity of it.

But Chad is a new fancy of some people. As long as it does not become
my problem, I see no problem.

As of games, I would first test the language. I do not think real-time
kind of speed/reaction was in Prolog's design criteria. I would try
OCaml for games - never used this either, but I have read they keep
their compiler stable and code written umpty (twenty?) years ago
compiles nowadays without changes. You may appreciate this when your
game turns fifteen years old. I have read about guy who first coded
his game in Java and gradually driven himself to a point when he could
no longer maintain it, so he rewrote in OCaml. I have read about other
guy, who wrote their tool in Python and for whatever reason (do not
remember) rewrote it on OCaml, again. They sounded satisfied with
their choices.

HTH

--
Regards,