On 2024-02-27 9:20 a.m., CAREY SCHUG via cctalk wrote:
It's not a cassette, but the PB-440 (Pitney-Bowes), renamed Raytheon 440 and its upgrade
the raytheon 520 had a large reel paper tape with a bidirectional read and an
"operating system"  Load the os, say we want to run fortran, spin down to
fortran, read the program in on 80 column cards (probably 2 pass, I don'trecall),
automatically reload the monitor when done, read and execute the program from cards.
Frequently used programs could be on the OS paper tape reel.

btw, that computer was user level microcode.  multiple "machine" definitions,
with typical 24 bit word, one instruction set optimized for fortran execution, one for
fortran compilation, etc (don't remember exactly, as I only programmed in the microcode
of mostly 2 micro instructions per word).

<pre>--Carey</pre>

Where is some document ion on that machine?
I finally got around to building the TTL home-brew computer I wanted from the 1970's and now I need all the goodies like paper tape and i/o that is Algol ready. :)
Ben.
OK I cheated using Cmos 2901's and 22v10's, but that is what I had
to make the PCB layouts easy.I don't think 1 74H04 counts for making it a TTL computer. :)
PS: With low cost Chinese PCB's and vintage parts, why are people not
building real hardware replica's of interesting machines.