> On Mar 9, 2024, at 2:19 PM, Dennis Boone via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Did something happen to comp.os.vms and/or usenet?  All the DEC
>> newsgroups appear to be missing from Eternal September.
>
> There has been a huge flood of spam originating from google, in various
> newsgroups, for a few months.  I saw 15,000 one day in comp.os.vms
> alone.  This problem has prompted google to drop usenet support from
> Groups, which happened late last month.  (The existing posts are still
> accessible, they claim.)  Many are largely happy about this change. ;)

I noticed that things after that time are a lot cleaner on c.o.v., I think
having a barrier to entry is a good thing, and will hopefully cut back on the
spam.

> It's possible this is related to your issue, though I see that someone
> else managed to subscribe to c.o.v. on Eternal September, so perhaps
> not.

The issue was how I started ’tin’.

> Sadly, a lot of c.o.v. regulars were using ggroups to post.  Hopefully
> they take advantage of one of the alternatives.

That’s unfortunate.  I switched to Eternal-September a few years ago, though I
haven’t been really active on c.o.v. for years.

Zane