On Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 8:33 AM Keith Monahan <ke...@techtravels.org> wrote:

> Thanks guys for pointing out what's available and the references....
> which will be useful the next time something good comes around!
>
> The C200 runs the newer 64-bit processor, the PA8200, which is RISC 2.0,
> and (I'd imagine is) quite a bit different than the PA7300.

You can still run a 32b OS or 32b applications depending on your
preference on the C200.  PA-RISC is a well designed superset of its
prior ISA versions.  I re-read your post and it seems you want chipset
compatibility though, in which case yes you'd want to find a LASI
system like the C160L/C180L if going to C-class.  Here is a good
candidate:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/195201664655

> I don't understand the silly pricing either. Who's buying them? Who is
> forking over $1000, $1500, etc for these old machines? I don't really
> even buy the "some business relies on this and have never updated"
> because you'd have to have some smart folks on standby who could
> reinstall software, reconfigure machines with licenses, etc. Assuming
> you still had the necessary CDs etc.

I think there is a small subset of PA-RISC machines that are used as
controllers for ABB PLCs, maybe other types of industrial and lab
equipment.  It might not be a big deal to spend $1200 to maintain
something like that and not have to understand how to make it run on
other types of systems.  The sellers then extrapolate that to
everything is worth its weight in gold.