On Wed, 2024-04-10 at 23:52 -0500, CAREY SCHUG wrote:
> I was an operator (summer job and weekends during college), we had a
> bunch of model 30s, each with at least 2 card readers and 2
> printers.  most work was BG or F1 running jcl which read in a 1401
> program from cards.

My boss in my first full-time job had worked at a bank in Dayton, OH.
They had an NCR 315, with a device called CRAM, or Card Random Access
Machine. That machine used cards the same size as punch cards, but made
of mylar and coated with mag-tape oxide. It had a compressed-air-driven
mechanism to extract a particular card from a file, drag it through
some read-write heads, and put it back. They loved the CRAM sort
routines. The machine made a hell of a racket, so they had it in a
sound-proof room.

An IBM salesman convinced them to try out a 360/30 with a Data Cell.

After a month, the salesman came back and noticed the Data Cell in the
same sound-proof room as the CRAM. He asked "Why is it in there? It
doesn't make any noise!"

The answer was "We hope it will learn some software."