From: Paul Koning <paulkon...@comcast.net>
Sent: Friday, April 12, 2024 12:13 PM
To: t.gard...@computer.org; cctalk@classiccmp.org
Cc: Tom Gardner <tom94...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [cctalk] IBM 360

<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

> Data Cell - Tape, Card or Disk?
>
> I'm pretty sure the developers thought of the  media of the IBM 2321
> as tape rather than cards, although the strips (of tape) were
> addressed as disk drives (DASD) not tape.

Actually, they look like a disk.  See the 2841 manual on Bitsavers (that's
the controller which drives 2311 disks as well as 2321 data cell devices).
It says that each strip has 100 tracks, read/written by a movable heads unit
that has 20 heads on it, so 5 positions.  And it shows the layout of each
track, which is the conventions count/key/data layout of 360 disk drives
like the 2311.  Yes, variable length "sectors", you'd specify in the JCL
what you wanted for blocksize of that particular file.  If I remember right,
the block length could vary from one block to the next, which is pretty
wild.  (Contrast with the EL-X8 disk drive, which also has variable length
sectors, but more limited: a choice of one of 5 possible sizes, chosen on a
per-track basis when you first write or format that track.)  Apart from
those, I only ever remember seeing fixed size sectors, though the actual
lengths might be strange -- like the CDC mainframe disks with sectors of 322
12-bit words.