On 4/22/24 16:06, Paul Berger via cctalk wrote:

On 2024-04-22 5:21 p.m., Chuck Guzis via cctalk wrote:
On 4/22/24 13:02, Wayne S wrote:
I read somewhere that the cable lengths were expressly engineered to provide that signals arrived to chips at nearly the same time so as to reduce chip “wait” times and provide more speed.
That certainly was true for the 6600.  My unit manager, fresh out of UofMinn had his first job with CDC, measuring wire loops on the first
6600 to which Seymour had attached tags that said "tune".

But then, take a gander at a modern notherboard and the lengths (sic) to which the designers have routed the traces so that timing works.

--Chuck

Shortly after I started at IBM I assisted one of the senior CEs doing engineering changes on a 3031 and the back of the logic gates was a mass of what IBM called tri-lead, when I saw it I wonder how it could possibly work.  The tri-lead is basically a 3 wire ribbon cable that has the two outer wires grounded and is precisely made to have reliable characteristics.  It was explained to me that sometimes they would change the length of the tri-lead in a connection to adjust signal timing.

I am not sure when IBM started using tri-lead

IBM 360's used Chabin TLC (transmission line cable) that were essentially a ribbon cable version of tri-lead.  18 signals wide, terminating in the standard 24-pin connectors just like the SLT cards had.  I think that the Tri-lead and TLC both had a 91 Ohm impedance.  The reason for splitting the ribbons into individual signals was to reduce crosstalk.  Interesting note, 370's version of ECL used a +1.25 V and -3V power supply that shifted the logic levels to +400 mV and -400 mV, and were terminated to ground.  If you wanted to scope a signal, you could unplug a tri-lead and connect it to a scope with a 91 Ohm terminator.

Jon