On 5/1/2024 9:21 PM, Fred Cisin via cctalk wrote:
Bring lots of business cards.  Even if you aren't running a business, it's a lot better than standing there writing your contact information for everybofy that you want to stay in touch with.
Well, or a couple pieces of paper with QR codes for your web site, or email address, or however you want to be contacted.  I agree writing stuff down is nonsensical.

paper, pens, pencils, post-it notes, stapler, duct tape, voltmeter, batteries, flashlight, cash, blank disks and memory cards, screwdrivers, vise-grips, hammer.  Even if none of those fit in with your plans, those items will help enormously to deal with unexpected situations.

travel USB cords (you never know)

a long power strip with multiple taps.  6-10ft if you can.

a few extra of the power cords like goes on newer PCs and such. You may need them as-is, you may need to cut one and hard wire it in.  I have tons of them around here, so a few in the box is no big deal.

wire stripper, side nips.  In fact, if you are electronically minded at all, I'd throw an old soldering iron, a bit of solder, wick, needle nose pliers, as well.

I am literally packing for a show tonight, and I am carrying all of the above.

My paper, pens, pencils, post it, duct tape, batteries, cash, blank disks, memory cards, blank CDs, blank DVDs, small ethernet cable, small USB cables (the rollup kind) are all in my computer bag, so they go everywhere, as well as earphones, stereo splitter, a few checks, travel power supply for my main laptop, extra travel mouse, USB pen drives.

travel LCD projector

a few RCA patch cords (work for audio or video, though I normally bring home computers, you may not find as much need)

signage

I tend to bring some essential electronics/sockets/switches/wire as well

The computers and peripherals I intend to show.

Just reaching out to anyone who has exhibited at a vintage computing
festival before.  After years of only being able to watch others attend the ones that happen in the US, we are finally getting one in BC here.  Super excited.  I was invited both to speak and to exhibit, and they even got me
two tables which is awesome.

Like, how do you prepare for these things?  What things that you didn't
think of going into your first show do you wish you had?

If you are doing a presentation, finish it before you get there, if at all possible.  There's always people to chat with and other things drawing your attention away while at the show, and doing a presentation while at the show is always hard, if not impossible. I've done, but I do not recommend.

As well, just like with any audience, ensure your prez is interesting.  Try it on someone else first.  Don't read the slides if that's your medium.  QR code for more information is nice.

I have a pretty eclectic collection, and some really rare stuff (like my
Mark-8s) that I'd love to bring but am hesitant about due to the risks of
transportation damage and theft (from the car mostly, not the convention
itself).  Just trying to decide what to bring and how focused to be in terms
of theme.

Maybe for the first one, be a bit conservative.  I've taken some high value rare stuff to shows, but you have to pay more attention to those items before, during, and after the show, and I think you'd like to enjoy the show for the moment.

Whatever you bring, make sure it is doing something.  Looking at a bare computer not doing anything is not an interesting exhibit. I've been guilty of this, but it's still true.

Games are always a good draw, even if that seems like cheating.

Now, off to finish packing.

Brad

--
Jim Brain