Weill .. I certainly expected lots of "discussion" on these statements
about my Altair:

I have never claimed to be an "unknown drip"(*) on details of computer
history, but here is my reasoning:

> First Personal Computer (long before IBM PC)

I am well aware of small systems that predated the Altair, but they
are/were not neary as well known (mainly due to Jan/Feb 1975 Popular
Electronics), and I don't recall that nearly as many of them were as
commonly owned and operated by "people of modest means" and/or not
"in the industry".

And unlike most predecessors it was expandable by a means that grew
onto a whole industry.

I too generally avoid using "first" in history discussions... but

At one time I discussed this with Ed Roberts, the creator of the
Altair, and he said:
 "We coined the phrase Personal Computer and it was first applied
 to the Altair, i.e., by definition the first personal computer."
 "The beginning of the personal computer industry started without
 question at MITS with the Altair."

> First S100 buss system

Originally called "Roberts Buss" the Atair expansion buss was used by
many systems that followed, and not wanting to use their competitors
name, the buss became known as "S100" (presumably System buss with
100 pins)

Again, Ed Roberts confirmed this to me.

> First system Bill Gates wrote code for (long before Microsoft)

I should have qualified this with "well known published" code.

As far as I know, Bill's career really went off with his
implementation of BASIC - which became: Mits Altair Basic

And perhaps Microsoft started "only a few years" after (which WAS a
LONG time in those days of the industry) - but it wasn't anywhere
what it would become some years after that! - and I don't think it was
at all well known till MS-DOS (post IBM-PC).

But again, I don't claim to be:

(*)
X - marks the unknown
Spurt - a drip under pressure

.. and I don't claim to be an "unknown drip under pressure"
(I'll happily leave that honor to others in the group :-)

Dave