(Rick--IIRC, some later Curta (knockoffs?) could do square roots too, is that
true, do you have one?)

OK, I'll loosen up, or make exceptions.

Maybe some devices before the altair used the exact or inexact words "personal
computer".

but they did not "create a market" or lead directly to a series of similar,
competing products, and do not come anywhere close to what we think of as a
"personal computer" now.  The Altair is very different from a modern personal
computer, but still has more similarities and a continuous chain of
intermediate stages.  Part of what makes a personal computer to us is that we
can easily switch from one to another.  That would not have been possible
between the LGP-30, LINC, etc.

I still ask the question, what fraction of the G-15, LINC, IBM 610, Programma
101, etc, were purchased as "personal" devices by an individual, for personal
use, and from household funds rather than via a corporate (including
educational) purchase-order?

Other terminology:

IIRC the first computers that were sold as "supercomputers" were scalar, maybe
with a few more processors than the generation before, but programmed in the
same manner.  Then shortly came the massively parallel "supercomputers" created
from commodity microcomputer chips, and the term supercomputer has transitioned
to mean them.

<pre>--Carey</pre>