On Sat, May 25, 2024, 8:14 AM Jon Elson via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

> On 5/24/24 11:49, Mike Katz via cctalk wrote:
> > The problem with this debate is that the definition of
> > Personal Computer is totally fluid and can be written so
> > that the writers opinion is fact.
>
> Yes, the Bendix G-15 was said to be the first personal
> computer. It was as big as a refrigerator, and weighed a LOT
> more, and drew much more power.  (300 vacuum tubes, 3000
> Germanium diodes,  drum memory.)  but, one guy could program
> it and run it.
>
> The LINC comes in a close second.
>
> Jon

I know a guy in a basement in Germany that has three supercomputers up and
running, that he installed and maintains himself.  Except for when he
invites guests over, they're very personal.

That being said, I don't know that the Bendix G-15 fits the bill, but the
LINC very much does, especially considering it was kinda of intended to be
a single user machine, and at least one of the team that put it together
brought one home and used it there.

If I were writing the definitive history of personal computing, I'd maybe
start with SIMON, then the LINC, then eventually the Altair.

Sellam