I may be wrong, but wasn't that a feature of early RISC, possibly the Sparc
? You were compiling to microcode rather than CISC assembler, so you got to
think about pipelining in the instruction stream. Just about feasible in
assembler but perfectly sensible if the compiler was doing the work.

To the limit of my knowledge, modern RISCs like ARM are much more like CISC
in that the pipelining is hidden, the name is used only to imply there's a
small and regular set of instruction codes.