Chuck Guzis wrote:
> Scarcely innovative.  64  bit architectures predated the 64-bit x86 by
> decades.  Call it a natural evolution.

I'm kinda surprised that nobody has mentioned this ...

But.. even less innovative than that! - the subject mentions "8086" and 46
years - the 8086 was only a 16 bit
CPU and came out close to the time suggested. The x86 architecture didn't get
32 bits till the 386 which
was IIRC around 1986 or 7 - so word length was not AT ALL architecturally
significant - and Chuck is quite
right that there were MANY bigger/better machines when the 8086 made it's debut.

I think the 86 came at a good time/place because the 8080 series had become
quite popular in microcomputers
and designers were feeling the limits of a 8-bit architecture - the 86 provided
a fairly powerful (for the time) and
easy upgrade which was enough like the 8080 that most developers didn't have a
tough time "figuring it out".
(and it didn't hurt that minicomputer pricing wasn't involved)

Dave

My own entry into the "microprocessor" design fray was something I called the:
C-FLEA
A very tiny/simple 16 bit CPU that was very optimal as a target for my C
compiler.
Never did see it to silicon, but did quite a few "virtual machines" - this let
me efficiently
put C code into little cpus that were not reasonable candidates for higher
level languages.