On 6/9/24 08:40, Murray McCullough via cctalk wrote:
> Intel introduced to the world the x86 processor: the CISC technology still
> with us. So what has changed other than speed and upward development?

The Internet?

Really, it's always been my view that computational technical progress
has long been driven by communication.  Without communication, the
microprocessor would largely be limited to commercial (e.g. CAD,
finance, accounting) and a few niche applications.   Many of those
segments would be just fine with older technology.

To put it in another context, what use would most people find with a PC
that was limited to 300 bps modem communication?

--Chuck