On Mon, Jul 22, 2024 at 06:53:19PM -0600, Eric Smith via cctalk wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 20, 2024 at 8:08?PM Steve Lewis via cctalk <
> cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> > What I meant was that in the title of the book they use "digital computer"
> > and I wonder if there was ever a book describing a mechanical "analog
> > computer" - and what they might even look like.
> >

> I haven't looked for a book, but if you'll settle for Wikipedia:
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Differential_analyser

For those who might be interested, here's a small manual for
the differential analyzer that was at the University of
Pennsylvania.  That machine was used primarily by the Army
during WWII, but was made available for general use after
the war.  This booklet appears to have been printed in 1952.

http://cs.drexel.edu/~bls96/eniac/other/diff-upenn.pdf

Please excuse the scan quality.  This was scanned from
microfilm of the ENIAC trial exhibits.  The pages with
photographs were particularly hard to set an intensity
curve that would mostly clear up the background but still
show some detail in the photos.

BLS