On Thu, Jul 25, 2024 at 7:03 AM Christopher Zach via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> I have always heard that Dec screwed with the smd spec.  Maybe not?
>
> On July 25, 2024 12:41:57 PM GMT+02:00, Michael Thompson via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
> >The CDC test system for the RM03 is a standard SMD device. You disconnect
> >the Massbus interface and connect the test system where the Massbus
> >interface was connected. So the drive interface is probably standard SMD.

Back in the late 80s I worked for a guy at a general-purpose shop.
Mostly he resold things, some over-the-counter, some custom PC builds,
and some repair jobs.  In house, he ran a small VAX and a couple
PDP-11s.  At one point, he got an RM03 or two and had me try to get
them working with a 3rd-party Unibus SMD controller (his main disks
were SMD).  I was only about 21-22 and he knew a lot more about
electronics than I did.  He already had a working 9762.  We compared
the cards in the drive card cages (the RM03 has a different outer skin
but the innards are pure CDC).  There were 1-2 visible differences
between how the RM03 and the 9762 were populated.  We spent a few days
on it, but we weren't able to get the RM03 talking to the Emulex SMD
controller so we buttoned up the RM03s which ended up getting bought
by my next employer (cheap backup hardware for our 160MB Fuji drive
that emulated two RM03s and was the boot drive for our 11/750).

So... my recommendation is to look over schematics for differences.  I
think there are some.  With the community's present knowledge and
access to tools and disposable MCUs, I think success is much more
likely now than it was 35 years ago.

-ethan