On 7/30/2024 6:58 AM, cz via cctalk wrote:
But Windows 2000 was a re-architected version of NT that people hated because of the GUI. So they dusted up the GUI with Windows 98's stuff and released it as XP. Rest was history....

In the interest of facts, I don't think this is correct.

Windows NT 3.1 utilized the Windows 3.1 UI look and feel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_3.1

Windows NT 3.5 continued the 3.1 look and feel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_3.5

Windows NT 4.0 utilized the Windows 95 look and feel, as did 2000

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_NT_4.0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_2000

Thus, I believe the UI hate evaporated before Windows XP.

I remember using 3.1, 4.0, and 2000.  As I recall, I loved the stability of 3.1, but the UI was old and outdated, especially when 95 came out. 4.0 offered the nicer UI, but the driver situation was still a problem, compared to the better driver support for Windows 95/98.  Windows 2000 was supposed to unify the OS variants, but it didn't quite make it (though I think W2K moved the graphics subsystem into the kernel for better performance), and Windows XP was the first unified OS and the first with a 64 bit variant.

Jim