On 9/13/24 22:21, Mark Huffstutter via cctalk wrote:
        I think David meant He saw them working on refurbishing the panel
itself. LCM Staff designed and
Built the circuitry to generate the pseudo blinkenlights effect, along with
converting to LEDs. As I recall, the
Panel was the only thing left of the original 360/91. I do remember Paul Allen
had spent a lot of time looking
For a restorable 360, ending up with mostly bad tips. Flew a Guy to a storage
building in Australia, only to
Discover in person....nope. An article mentioned that, since 360s were pretty
much leased machines, they
Returned to IBM for summary execution.....

Well, actually, the FAA's National Airspace System commandeered all SLT cards from retired 360's to keep the 9020D and 9020E computers running.  These were slightly modified 360/50 and 360/65 processors, with small additions to the microcode and different front panels.  There were lots of owned 360's in the 1980's.

Jon