On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 03:43:01PM -0500, Doc Shipley via cctalk wrote:
[...]
> You should see what a DIP 8250-compatible UART costs...

The venerable 16550 is an 8250-compatible, so that would be $4.47 from
Digikey, plus another couple of bucks for a PLCC-to-DIP adaptor from
wherever. DIP versions are also available at a similar price, but from
less-reliable sources.

I haven't put the two datasheets side-by-side to check, but if the 16550
isn't actually directly pin-compatible with the 8250 (which I expect it
probably is) then it'll certainly be close enough that a few bodge wires on
that adaptor board will be all that's needed. We're not trying to install a
Threadripper into a 286 socket or anything like that.