Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I was expecting calls to bring back CDEbian, but I'm somewhat torn on that,
since Debian, like far too many distros has gone to the dark side and
switched to systemd, which turns a perfectly servicable Linux into Windows
9 Linux OS, so it's either a fork from debian or going the full mile and
make a distro based on LFS, which also has the added bonus of being tailor
made for the architecture.

I have a test rig with a Ryzen 5 2500U octo-core, which has both Ubuntu
18.04 and my current nightly build of "CDELfs" on it. Ubuntu doesn't even
boot without deactivating half the processor's features by kernel command
line. The LFS instead takes about 4 hours to compile and install, which is
certainly a point to be made in its disfavour, but it boots cleanly and in
comparison to the generic code in the Ubuntu install, the optimized LFS
binaries are almost comically fast. for instance the build times for CDE:

On Ubuntu 18.04: 6 minutes, 34 seconds
On LFS: 2 minutes, 16 seconds.

So I'm leaning towards LFS, but the lack of a package manager is a a severe
drawback. Currently I'm evaluating two possible candidates : pkgsrc and
portage-index, which might mitigate that.

dtmail will most certainly get a hefty refresh, but it will have to be a
rewrite, as I know of no halfway up-to-date motif based email client that
one could start with. In a first step I'm planning on a plain-text only
version as I also don't know of any halfway decent motif-based web engine
and introducing masses of gome or kde dependencies would beat the purpose
of CDE.

Cheers,
Hippo