"Steven W. Orr" wrote:

> I'm glad to see this issue raised here. I'm running the ancient 2.3.99pre8
> and I find that cdparanoia goes *very* slowly. It used to run with the
> read light on steady, but now it flashes briefly with long pauses in
> between. Any ideas?

Steven,
People have been trying out new "vm" strategies in the latter
Linux 2.3 development series kernels. That may have helped people
with 4 GBytes of RAM on their high end systems but it slowed down
performance on "normal" machines. Only with the recent
lk 2.4.0-test1-ac21 are we back to anything like lk 2.2 series
speeds for normal machines.

Doug Gilbert