} > And are you using ide-scsi emulation?
}
}   Absolutely. On both my home and office systems, although the office
} system gets all the various stuff going including setiathome at nice
} -19, while the burner at home is a file server and backup server, two
} tapes, two CD burners, a 4x SCSI and the 8x IDE.

It might be worth checking the IDE configuration, and making sure that
IDE busmaster transfers are enabled on the host controller.  There was
a policy change a while ago (in the 2.2 kernel tree, I believe) -
previously, IDE busmastering would be enabled by default, while more
recently it requires some amount of effort at kernel-config or boot
time to enable it.  The reason, I gather, was that some IDE controllers
and devices report that they do busmastering, but do not do so
reliably, and this led to crashes and data corruption on disk.

Doing CD burning with high-speed burners and a busy disk might very
well put a strain on the system, if busmastering isn't enabled.  IDE
PIO transfers seem to be tremendously inefficient, under some
conditions I can't quantify exactly, and it's quite possible to run
out of useful CPU cycles because your system is stuck in the kernel
doing stupid little PIO loops.