On 31-Jan-01 Fernan Aguero wrote:
> The question: is there any way to play a ripped cdrdao 'data.bin' or the
> *.wav
> files generated by cdda2wav so i can see if I can avoid burning the bad
> tracks?
> I know that I should be able to play .wav files, but my selection of
> multimedia
> utilities (the default ones installed by RedHat) can play mp3 and CDs but
> not
> wav files. I don't know about 'data.bin' files generated by cdrdao ...

Hi,

If you have a working soundcard, "wavplay" (as one of many) should play
the wavfiles just fine. Maybe try a "apropos wav" or "apropos audio" on
your system to see what could play wav files.

data.bin files probably not. You could convert them with the help of "sox" --
an audio conversion program to anything you want (or maybe even just play
them directly to the /dev/audio (or /dsp) device).

For better ripping of the damaged source CD's try using cdparanoia which is
paranoid in detecting any errors and trying to correct them. If there
are indeed big reading problems this will take some time, since cdparanoia
will do many reads of the same sectors and try to reconstruct the correct
audio data.

I don't have the www-adress handy but a search engine (i.e. www.google.com) on
cdparanoia should produce a direct hit.

K.-H.