When trying to burn a mkisofs -r -J generated ISO image to a CD
using the popular Nero program, it gets stuck (hangs in a CPU bound
process) while it is "generating relocation information". According to
the Nero support staff, Nero needs to analyze the _contents_ of the
ISO image to "layout the logical data format that is to be written to
the CD."

I would assume that a mkisofs generated ISO image is ready to be
burned and that no additional processing would be necessary. Can
anyone with more knowledge than me shed any light on this?

Personally, I think Nero gets stuck while processing self-referencing
symbolic links, which can take a long time, if you do it wrong ;-).

mkisofs 1.8.1 runs on RedHat 6.1.
Nero 5.0.3.8 runs on Windows 98SE.
CD writer is Plextor PX-W4220 on SCSI.

-- Johan