Hi,

On Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 06:43:36PM +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
> So sprach [EMAIL PROTECTED] am Mon, Jun 18, 2001 at 06:29:47PM +0200:
> > Well the price of a Solaris installation is _exactly_ the same a
> > the price for a Linux installation!
>
> Ah, okay.  This also includes the numerous Solaris boards and huge pile of
> software available for Solaris?  Where can I find, let's say, KDE II or
> Evolution 1.0.3 for Solaris?  Does it compile just as easily there as it
> does on Linux?

FYI,

from the SUN website:

-----
 Sun is a charter member of the GNOME Foundation and an active member of
 the GNOME community. Sun is committed to delivering a high-quality
 GNOME user environment for the Solaris Operating Environment, and to
 providing dedicated resources for the ongoing development and
 enhancement of GNOME.

Availability

Sun will offer GNOME 2.0 for the Solaris Operating Environment.
Development of the 2.0 release is still in the early stages. The
following is a preliminary release schedule:

    * Q1 CY 2001: Public early access
    * Q2 CY 2001: Beta early access
    * Q3 CY 2001: General availability
-----

AFAIK you can already download Gnome 1.4 at the moment.

So there may may be no KDE, but there's Gnome and it will be the
standard Solaris dektop in the future.

For further information, look at :

http://www.sun.com/software/gnome/siteindex.html

Also you can download Solaris 8 free of charge and at least parts of it
are open source now.

Cheers,

Dirk