On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Alexander Skwar wrote:

>Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 15:42:07 +0200
>From: Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Subject: Re: CDcontrol software released (
>
>So sprach [EMAIL PROTECTED] am Sun, Jun 17, 2001 at 03:31:58PM +0200:
>> Of course you need some basic knowledge on shell programming:
>>
>> Use:
>
>NOT!
>
>> pager=${PAGER-more}
>
>pager=${PAGER-less} if you don't want to surprise a lot of Linux users who
>are used to the comfort of less.

I agree that it should be "pager=${PAGER-more}".  Every UNIX and
UNIX like system out there has "more", but not all of them have
"less".  Systems that do have "less" usually set PAGER=/bin/less.

The line "pager=${PAGER-more}" will only use "more" if PAGER is
not already set.  In other words, if a system or user has not
defined their PAGER, then fallback to a sane default.  IMHO,
"more" is the sane portable default.

If one wants to get fancy, one could put code that checks $PAGER,
and if not set, tries "less" and if not there tries "more" but I
think that is overkill as most if not all systems that use less,
define it in PAGER so there should be no problem.  All releases
of Red Hat Linux I have at my disposal seem to define PAGER
properly anyways.

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.