[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> >From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Davidsen)

> >> 64k is the limiting factor when you specify "lines" - the default.
> >>
> >> as blocks are easier to type I use blocks when I whant to go back further and
> >> if I do this on Linux, it does not work!
>
> >I see this:
> >  newssvr15:root> tail -70000 /var/log/debug | wc
> >    70000 1255826 12390095
> >  newssvr15:root> uname -a; uptime
> >  Linux newssvr15.news.prodigy.com 2.4.5-ac5 #4 SMP Wed Jun 6 12:37:23 EDT 2001
>i686 unknown
> >    1:28pm  up 11 days, 22:18,  5 users,  load average: 0.99, 1.10, 1.26
> >  newssvr15:root>
>
> So you are not running UNIX tail ....

  No I'm running Linux tail, as it comes with Slackware, Redhat,
mandrake, SuSE, etc. Did you deliberately install UNIX tail on your
Linux system? And if so why doesn't the -NNNb option work to your
satisfaction?

> >I can't seem to find this behaviour on any Slackware, SuSE or Redhat
> >system even on systems last modified in 1968. This looks as if it works
>
> There was not UNIX in 1968.

  yes, typo, that's 1998. But you knew that, since it's in the build
date of my original post:
  Linux newsutil1 2.1.131 #4 SMP Thu Dec 10 10:59:04 EST 1998 i686 unknown

> >fine. You're not running obsolete software are you? Or your own custom
> >version of 'tail'?
>
> You are using a own custom version of tail, I use the UNIX tail command.

  No, I'm running whatever tail comes with all the distributions I use
from choice or necessity. That's why I tried several machines of various
flavors, to see if the tail I used was something recent.

  I really think you have some damaged version, the -b is flagged as
"tail: b: invalid suffix character in obsolescent option" (means
becoming obsolete, I think it is). Both Solaris and AIX also accept byte
counts larger than 64k, so there's no obvious reason to use b other than
habit.

  No, I don't know or claim POSIX says it's obsolete, but I haven't seen
anyone actually use it in at least the last eight years, any I'm sure I
haven't used it in longer than that.

  Anyway, I think there's no problem with >64k in standard Linux
distributions. I don't know what you're running, but it's not a Linux
problem in popular distributions.

--
   -bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])