Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Tue Jun 19 23:50:08 2001
>
> >So sprach Walter Hofmann am Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 11:42:15PM +0200:
> >> I know what I'm going to choose.
>
> >Yep, so do I.  But still J=F6rg's point is somewhat valid.  If there's no
> >mktemp on the system, a portable way has to be chosen.  Even if the portable
> >way is FAR less "capable".  It all boils down to how portable the thing is
> >supposed to be.
>
> >BTW: Is (c)dialog preinstalled on (most) Unices?  If not, then it needs to
> >be installed to make the CDcontrol scripts run anyway.  And while installing
>
> What should this be?
>
> It is not part of UNIX.

  Neither are your make or tar programs. It sounds as if you are saying
that using things which are not part of "UNIX" (I don't know if that
means Solaris or POSIX) is a bad thing. I don't think you really want to
make that argument.

  I am all in favor of using tools which are widely installed, that's my
definition of portable, which would certainly include things in Solaris,
Linux and AIX, even if they were not required by POSIX.

--
   -bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])