Hi all,

as some might remember there was a discussion about the read-ahead bug
where I pointed out that the Yellow Book (available for free as ECMA-130
from www.ecma.ch) requires a data track to contain 150 empty blocks at
the end if the next track is audio or lead-out. These 150 blocks allow a
filesystem to read ahead without running into invalid data. A CD-ROM
drive might even read ahead itself, so not providing these empty blocks
can cause problems even if the filesystem never requests blocks beyond
the user data.

cdrecord + mkisofs by default didn't add these blocks and thus violated
the CD-ROM standard, so Joerg agreed to make -pad in mkisofs the
default, which makes sense as cdrecord cannot detect whether a data
track had been padded.

Now I noticed that -pad in mkisofs 1.14 is documented as "Pad the end of
the ISO9660 by 16  sectors  (32kB).  If the  total  size  then is not a
multiple of 16 sectors, the needed number of sectors is added."

In other words, mkisofs still doesn't add the required number of
blocks. In the worst case (user data ends after a multiple of 16
blocks) it doesn't add any blocks at all. Is this going to be changed?

Bye, Patrick Ohly
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (MakeCD related mails)