On 10-Sep-01 Peter Pilgrim wrote:
> From: Peter Pilgrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: RE: Freecom Traveller II CD RW PCMCIA Driver
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You didn't include the list anymore.... I added it again (and fullquoted).

> I find it it a bit confusing reading some the email from "www.deja.com"
> I did a search on "Freecom CD RW Linux" and found a lot of unhappiness.
>
> The "scsi generic" is compiled in either into to the kernel or as a module.
> I did "make xconfig" (or "make menuconfig" ) there in the main SCSI
> figure that mention generic drivers. I compiled the other associated
> devices "disk", "tape", "cdrom",  as modules.

modules will do fine.

> If you look at /usr/src/linux/Documentation/scsi-generic.txt you will see
> what I mean. Sorry I dont have my laptop here with me at work.

> The other thing I just read was a `Freecom IQ ASIC Parallel Drive support'.

Hmm.... is it a pcmcia scsi adapter or something strange to connect a
parallel (i.e. 25 pin DSUB printer connector (centronic ?)) drive adapter?

> I saw this config support in the block drive section.  I was wondering if
> this is
> required. I compiled in as a module. But if I am using PCMCIA then
> I dont need this module. I will try remove it as kernel module and
> recompiling
> the kernel.

So it is a pcmcia scsi adapter, and yes my guess is too that you will not
need this parallel adapter module.

> My information is this:
>
> 1) hde=ide-scsi is required to mapped the IDE drive as SCSI device for the
> system.

Yes -- with this you can access you CD-R/DVD using the generic scsi module
for reading audio data for example. Just reading data CD's is possible
without that remapping.

> 2) Therefore it drive is recognised as a SCSI then it will appear under
> /dev/scd* for (CD ROM) and /dev/sr* for (CD RW).
>
> On my system I have a Dell with DVD ROM/ LS120 combo so I will
> have to go back over the SuSE manual to find out what all those partitions
> mean. I am not sure what is going on my setup . I think
>
> /dev/hda is the my hard disk
> /dev/hdb is ? ( I dont think will work because I have not a normal floppy
> drive)
> /dev/hdc is my LS120 super floppy
> /dev/hdd is my DVD

Hmmm... from your boot.log:

hda: FUJITSU MHJ2181AT, ATA DISK drive
hda is disk drive

[no hdb]

hdc: LS-120 SLIM3 00 UHD Floppy, ATAPI FLOPPY drive
hdc ls120 floppy

hdd: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2402, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd DVD drive

ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

hda: 35433216 sectors (18142 MB) w/512KiB Cache, CHS=2343/240/63

hdd: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

hdd is controlled by ide-cdrom driver (not covered by ide-scsi -- you didn't
tell it too)

hdc: 123264kB, 963/8/32 CHS, 533 kBps, 512 sector size, 720 rpm
geometry of the floppy

Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7 hda8 hda9 > hda4
partitions of your harddrive

indeed no normal floppy
floppy0: no floppy controllers found

> So obviously it must be /dev/hde?

Your normal IDE channels are full (4 devices).

I don't have a pcmcia scsi adapter -- but if I add a normal scsi adapter to a
system the devices will show up as SCSI devices and not as ide obviously.

If that pcmcia adapter work the same I would expect the CD-RW to be /dev/scd0
(sr0?) regardless of the scsi id it is set to.

later in the log the scsi subsystem is loaded.

SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00

and ide-scsi is registered as the one and only low-level driver

scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices

Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22

could be pcmcia basic support

PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:04.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:04.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 01:00.0
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:04.1
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:04.0
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 01:00.0
Intel PCIC probe: not found.
no idea if this is important or just informational

cs: IO port probe 0x0c00-0x0cff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0800-0x08ff: clean.
cs: IO port probe 0x0100-0x04ff: excluding 0x378-0x37f 0x4d0-0x4d7
cs: IO port probe 0x0a00-0x0aff: clean.
cs: memory probe 0xa0000000-0xa0ffffff: clean.

could be pcmcia messages (cs -> card services)

now parport-ide module is loaded:

paride: version 1.06 installed (parport)
pg: pg version 1.02, major 97
pg0: Autoprobe failed
pg: No ATAPI device detected
[...]

and fails to detexct anything (but it shouldnt do so I think)

hdc: 1440kB, 2880 blocks, 512 sector size,
hdc: 1440kB, 80/2/18 CHS, 150 kBps, 512 sector size, 720 rpm
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc4
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc4
VFS: Disk change detected on device ide1(22,0)
 hdc: hdc1 hdc2 hdc4

your floppy caused some messages for disc change.

there is *no* reference to loading any support for a specific pcmcia card,
registering a further scsi low-level controller or anything.

So I would say:

1) figure out how the pcmcia card is working
   I run a stock SuSE 7.2 kernel (2.4.4) and all pcmcia was *off* (i.e. not
   even a module)    by default

   maybe you have to simply load the right module for the pcmcia scsi card

2) if that card driver is started does a drive show up?

3) if yes figure out as which device (prob. scd0, sg0, sr0)

4) try to talk to it (or run cdrecord -scanbus)

5) if it actually is there as a device try to read data

6) then try to burn (cdrecord, use the '-dummy ' flag at first)

K.-H.