I have been using the Pioneer S201 DVD-R drive with
the cdrecord (pro) software. To date, the drive and
the software have performed flawlessly. I am using the
drive and cdrecord for the long term archival of data
files on my linux servers, I am just making a big ISO
file with mkisofs and burning it with cdrecord. As I
am just using the DVD-R drive for the storage of a
normal linux file system I don't need to be using the
DVD-R Authoring media which is much more expensive
than the DVD-R General media (about $15 a disc
compared to under $10). Since I will be archiving
literally thousands and thousands of discs the cost
savings of switch media is huge. The problem is that
the S201 drive only supports Authoring media.
Pioneer's new DVD-R A03 (~$700) drive supports General
media but this is an ATAPI interface drive, not SCSI
like the S201. So my idea was to try an IDE to SCSI
converter (SCSIDE)  on the A03. Has anyone done this
successfully with a drive and cdrecord? Does anyone
see any potential problems with this solution (or have
a different one)?