I have been looking at two SCSIDE converters, both are
around the same price of $100. One is the IDSC21-E
from IO Data
(http://www.iodata.com/products/idsc/idsc21e/IDSC21-E.htm)
and the other is the ARS-2000UB Bridge Smart from
ACARD Technologies (http://www.acard.com). The acard
product is actually a complete external drive bay that
does the conversion while the IO Data product is just
an adapter you plug into the back of the drive. The
IDE/SCSI software emulation probably won't work for me
due to the heavy load I am putting on my IDE hard
drive and bus. I am afraid if I used it the failure
rate of the DVD-R burns would increase dramatically.
My load consists during the DVD-R burn consists of
simultaneously FTPing another 4.7 GB for my next DVD-R
disc, creating the 4.7 GB ISO file for the next burn
from this FTP'd data as well as creating seven 670 MB
ISO files of the same data to burn to CD-R, and of
course the actual burning of 4.7 GB to DVD-R and 4.7
GB across seven CD-R drives (all SCSI). Surprinsingly
this is all running fine just fine on a Dell Dimension
4100 desktop PC with a Quantum Fireball IDE hard
drive. My failure rate is probable about 1 in 50 right
now if not better. Hopefully you can see why I would
be hesitant to adding more load the hard drive.