Hi all,

cdrecord is now about 6 and a half years old.

4 years ago, I was writing my first few DVDs with cdrecord.
Cdrecord therefore is one of the very first DVD writing programs.
In march 1998, cdrecord has been oe of 3 programs worldwide that
support DVD writing.

At this time, the price of a DVD writer has been 15000 Euro, the
price of a blank media was 70 Euro. Now starting on CeBIT, the price
of new writers like the Pioneer A04 will be < 500 Euro. the price
of a blank media is < 7 Euro.

Writing DVDs is therefore no longer a privillege of a few companies
and research institutes but will soon become part of everybodies
life.

Some people may already noticed that since January 1st 2002,
cdrecord-ProDVD is free for Educational and Research purposes,
starting from now, it is also free for private non-commercial use.

This is now part of the README in ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/ProDVD/

********** NEW: With March 9th, we are celebrating 4 years of cdrecord-ProDVD

        cdrecord-ProDVD is now free for private, research or educational
        purposes.

        If you have this key

CDR_SECURITY=8:dvd,clone,lowspeed:sparc-sun-solaris2,i386-pc-solaris2,i586-pc-linux:1.11::1024313569:::private/research/educational_non-commercial_use:3a09VvAtVVB2Qv/y630qBBylEUQcfPiypXvpbEirc6dCwnVidZyqvauQBxx

        as exported environment variable, cdrecord-ProDVD will not be limited
        anymore. The license works on Solaris and Linux (which are the most
        pupular operating systems). If you are using a different (non Microsoft)
        OS, ask me for a free key!

        As I am not sure if people will follow my licensing rules, so for
        a first aproach these keys are time limited and will expire on June 17th.
        I will continue to make private/educational/research use free,
        but it may be that you need to request your private key for free
        after June 17th.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling