On Sunday 22 September 2002 21:46, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 19:01, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > >Therefore, I will restrict the GPL license for cdrdao so that
> > > section 2 of the GPL will not apply to the libedc_ecc code. I
> > > will shortly prepare a new cdrdao release with the new
> > > license terms and remove all older releases from sf.net.
> >
> > The GPL license explicitly states that you may not make further
> > restrictions on the license.  In other words, it is not
> > possible to say "My program is GPLv2, plus you cant do this or
> > that".  It is prohibited.
> >
> > If the GPL license conflicts with the license of another
> > component in the software, you must either remove the
> > GPL conflicting parts, or alternatively relicense your software
> > with a different license than the GPL.
> >
> > You can't GPL part of your program however, and have GPL
> > incompatible code linked into it.
>
> I tend to believe this but can you please let me know where this
> is stated in the GPLv2 license text (I mean the part about making
> restrictions to the license). I'm assuming here that you are
> quiet familiar with this topic so that it is easy for you to find
> it. I already scanned the license text but could not find
> something matching.
>
> The libedc_ecc code is held in a library which gets statically
> linked to the cdrdao executable. The library is not available as
> a separate package so that the cdrdao sources ship with the
> libedc_ecc sources. The libedc_ecc sources are strictly separated
> from the remaining cdrdao sources. Does this count as linking GPL
> incompatible code in?

Well, as you say it gets statically linked in. So yes, that counts
as linking the code in. Since you can't take out libedc_ecc and use
it in another program, its license is clearly not GPL-compatible.
This means that if cdrdao is published under the GPL, linking them
is against the cdrdao license.

However, if you publish something under a modified GPL, ie one
without the "viral" component, then as far as I can see it would be
possible. This would however change the license terms for the rest
of cdrdao as well (it would effectively turn into an LGPL license I
think).

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key