On Sunday 22 September 2002 22:06, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> From: Andreas Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >> You can't GPL part of your program however, and have GPL
> >> incompatible code linked into it.
>
> This statement is not correct

Erm, the GPL puts your program under what's known as a "strong
copyleft". This forbids linking with non-GPL-compatible code. I
quote (GPL (http://www.gnu.org/ , clause 2, sentence 5):

"But when you distribute the same sections as part of a whole which
is a work based on the Program, the distribution of the whole must
be on the terms of this License, whose permissions for other
licensees extend to the entire whole, and thus to each and every
part regardless of who wrote it."

Given that cdrdao without libedc_ecc is under the GPL, cdrdao with
libedc_ecc linked in is then a derived work, which must be
published under the GPL entirely. Since the libedc_ecc license
forbids this, it follows that our premise is incorrect. So we must
conclude that the parts of cdrdao without libedc_ecc cannot be
published under the GPL.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key