On Sunday 22 September 2002 23:15, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 22:47, Lourens Veen wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 September 2002 22:30, Joerg Schilling wrote:
> > > From: Lourens Veen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > However, as libedc is not GPLd the "viral" part of the GPL
> > > does not apply to libedc - no matter what's written in the
> > > GPL. The problem is that Andreas did not make this clear
> > > before. As a result of this "missing hint" other people did
> > > believe that libedc is GPLd.
> >
> > Yes, the LICENSE file was removed from that directory. That's a
> > mistake. And as you say the viral part of the GPL does not
> > apply to libedc_ecc because it's not under the GPL. It does,
> > however, apply to cdrdao.
>
> The libedc_ecc source code did not contain such a LICENSE file
> (in fact no license file at all) at the time I fetched it. I was
> in contact with Heiko at that time and he also did not mention
> any restrictions. Of course this does not excuse my mistake - I
> should have explicitly asked for placing it under GPL.

My apologies. I assumed it was the same code as in the libedc
directory of cdrtools, which does have a LICENSE file. I assumed it
had been cleaned up at some point by someone thinking it was just
another copy of the GPL and that having one in the package would be
enough. I didn't mean to imply you or anybody else removed it on
purpose.

> Regarding the license terms I think we should wait for Mike A.
> Harris's answer to my question as he is an expert on this topic.
> He clearly stated that GPLd software cannot have non GPLd parts.
> The only open question is if they way cdrdao handles the
> libedc_ecc code can count as linking in non GPLd libraries.
> Depending on the answer I'll have to react...

Yeah. I'm not an expert either. We'll see.

Lourens
--
GPG public key: http://home.student.utwente.nl/l.e.veen/lourens.key