On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 12:20:29PM -0500, Korey O'Dell wrote:
> True, few people would, but these are only for my use. I want to do
> simply e2fs because:
> No intermediate file created, disk space is a problem at times.
> No need to mess with large tar files later on.
> Quick browsing of the CD contents.

You do need something intermediate unless your machine is pretty fast
(p3 800 seems to do it easily).  You can't copy a subdir as e2fs.  Onlya
complete partition.  Anything else will require using something to
create a new filesystem, although it can be done on the fly with
mkisofs.

I often use this

mkisofs -r -J . -o - | cdrecord -dev 0,1,0 -eject -speed 8 -v fs=8m -

That writes the current dir to a cd.  Ofcourse doing mkisofs -r -J
-printsize . first is a good plan to make sure the size will be ok.

Doing e2fs from a subdir will require an intermediate step of create a
file to mke2fs on, mount as loop device, copy files, unmount, write to
cd.  Not a good plan.

Len Sorensen