>From: Casey Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>        I previously wrote in about a problem with cdrecord freezing my
>system with a particular kernel. The problem has been narrowed down more,
>and exists in any kernel I build. The system is all scsi, and the writer
>is a Yamaha 4416S. While watching top, noticed a child process of cdrecord
>running with -99 priority!  Is that even possible, or is it a sign of
>something wrong. cdrecord is version 1.1, but version 2.0 did the same
>thing. kernels from both the 2.4 & 2.5 series have exactly the same
>problem. The system becomes almost totally unresponsive. I have already
>replace the scsi ribbon, and triple checked termination and adapter
>settings. Any advice please!

Your claim is partially right: cdrecord runs at a very high priority.
This is by intention and _definitely_ does not hang a non-broken OS.

Your problem is that the Linux "ps" command does not support the Linux kernel.
Cdrecord runs at much much higher priority then ps shows up.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling