"Thomas Schmitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > - I bought this drive back in the spring.  It appears to work fine in
> > WinXP with Nero 7.something or other.
>
> This is the really embarrassing part of those
> error reports: The Windowers know a way to make
> that combination of drive and controller work.
> We don't - yet.

??? Who is 'we'?

Did you try Solaris on this hardware?

> It might be that it is a bug with Linux and
> certain SATA controllers.
> But that would be a really smart bug. It disguises
> very successfully as a bug of the drive.

> Questions:
>
> - Can you find out the type of that SATA controller ?
>
> - Would it work with growisofs and DVD-R or unformatted
>   DVD-RW ?
>   (For these media the drive gets sent a mode page 05h,
>    like with CD-R, CD-RW.)
>
> - Are you willing to do experiments with program cdrskin ?

Cdrecord contains all special tricks that may be needed in order
to run a mode select command to drives with buggy firmware.

The OP did not send any cdrecord SCSI trace. If he did, we couild discuss
the problem.....

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)