On Wed, 2007-09-19 at 17:51 +0200, pgeorges wrote:
> > Crosswords, compiled with cegcc, runs noticably slower than compiled
> > with the m$ compiler. Eric House also reported this. I've not
> > investigated this yet. We may have inefficiencies other than the code
> > generated by the compiler. Something with the coredll perhaps ?
> >
> >     Danny
> >
> Is it possible to know in which cases the slowdowns are encountered ?
> CPU intensive code, I/O , system calls ?
> What is the amount of slow down ? 10 % , 50 % ?
>
> Pascal

I don't have an eVC4 installed (only my children have Windows PC's) so I
have no simple way to do comparisons.

Xwords shows a noticable difference if you get it to refresh its screen.
(It's a scrabble game application.) When compiled with cegcc, you can
see how it draws the game board - takes one or 1.5 seconds. With the
executable as you can download it from http://xwords.sf.net , the redraw
is instantaneous.

So that example could lead you to the conclusion that it's either
graphics or system (DLL?) access.

To know more, it probably takes only a couple of simple programs that do
something silly 10000 times and measure the elapsed time.

An example of such a program is attached, along with its output.

        Danny
--
Danny Backx ; danny.backx - at - scarlet.be ; http://danny.backx.info
#include <stdio.h>

#include <windows.h>
// #include <mmsystem.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
	FILE		*f;
// 	MMTIME		mmt;
// 	MMRESULT	mmr;
	float		n;
	int		i;
	DWORD		w1, w2;

	f = fopen("/storage card/devel/float.txt", "w");
	if (f == 0) {
		return -1;
	}
#if 0
	if (timeGetSystemTime(&mmt, sizeof(mmt)) == TIMERR_NOERROR) {
		fprintf(f, "No error\r\n");
	} else {
	}
#endif
	w1 = timeGetTime();
	fprintf(f, "Time is %ld\r\n", w1);
	for (n = w1, i=0; i<30000; i++) {
		n = n * 0.34 + 3.1;
	}
	w2 = timeGetTime();
	fprintf(f, "Time is %ld\r\n", w2);
	fprintf(f, "Difference : %ld\r\n", w2 - w1);
	fclose(f);
	return 0;
}
Time is 11963595