On 2012/05/06 05:49, Pavel Pavlov <pa...@summit-tech.ca> wrote:
> Hello all, it seems that cegcc is quite dead, or people who use it
> are happy with it (just like me).

Did you know that I published cegcc with gcc 4.6.3 and other updates?

I started the 4.7 update, but ran into so many merge conflicts that I
postponed it.

> Now, with WinPhone8 it rejects the libs as invalid. Upcoming
> VisualStudio and Windows 8 have ARM support out of the box. armasm
> (which looks too similar to armasm that comes with arm's dev tools)
> lists three types of machine targets: arm, thumb, armce. Any idea
> what's different? Do they use different object format (quite
> unlikely), or they simply added different CPU id for otherwise
> identical objects?

Reportedly, WinPhone8 is based on the Windows 8 (desktop) kernel, not
on the WinCE kernel.  That may make a difference, even if only for the
OS declaration.  Try objdump on WinPhone7 and 8 (native) binaries and
look for differences.

Since there is only official support for CIL code on WinPhone, there
was no need for native code compatibility.

Max