On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Karanbir Singh wrote:

Dag Wieers wrote:

We are not pushing the RHEL Betas by mentioning it on the wiki, are we ?

Putting it on the Download page, we most certainly are pushing it.

You need a RHN entitlement. So that's hardly pushing.

Look at it from some other angels.

 - It shows people we are helping to give back to upstream (and not just
reaping)
 - It encourages people to help CentOS as well
 - It shows Red Hat we are willing to help with Beta-testing

even when a RHN entitlement is required, showing that we care about this sends a message. And I don't see a big problem with having this on the Download page. It clearly says test-driving, beta's, I put it at the end of the page.

I think this is different than test repositories where it is much easier to make a mistake on an existing production system.

btw, upstream seemed quite firm on not doing so ( my impression again ) when the same issue was quite hotly contested as a sub-issue in the fedora-devel conversation about wikipedia's move to ubuntu and implications / fallouts from that.

Did they discuss the availability of RHEL Betas during that conversation ?

 I have no problem to discuss it, or change it, or move it to another part,
 or even remove if completely. But I do object to the communication-by-wiki
 style. And I do object to the fact that if you disagree with something it
 seems to be the law.

 That is why I put it back and answered your question where it was asked,
 through the wiki comments.

my bad, perhaps a s/?/!/ would have gone down better in the comment log ( which by the way, we should all do a lot more of - add comments to commits )

BTW My original change did contain a comment on what I just added.

--
--   dag wieers,  [EMAIL PROTECTED],  http://dag.wieers.com/   --