Hi Ross et al

I noticed your comment about disabling dnsmasq below....

I am a relatively new Linux user... I have built Centos 4 and Centos 5 servers over the last year or so - but still have much to learn I'm sure. I am mostly using webmin to manage Centos.

I am running (mostly) the non-xen kernel on a Centos 5 server. I have ISC DHCPd version 3.0.5 running on the Centos 5 box. I saw in the release notes for Centos 5 a comment about possible conflict between dnsmasq and DHCP servers. In my startup scripts - dnsmasq is set to "not start on boot" so I thought there was no problem - but I find that in spite of the startup script - dnsmasq appears to be running.

As far as I can tell - the DHCP server is working as I want it to - so maybe I don't have a problem. It concerns me that dnsmasq appears to be running - and maybe it is sticking its nose in where I don't really want it to. I haven't found a config file for dnsmasq - so I don't know how or where it is configured.

Can anyone tell me how the two DHCP servers will interact?
Should I disable dnsmasq - and if so - how do I do this?

Thanks

Richard.

Ross S. W. Walker wrote: